   Re: [xml-dev] Create XML

<Quote>
Being relatively new to XML, I am curious as to what the current thought
is on this?
</Quote>

You may want to check the January 2003 archives for a subject line "Can
XML Schemas do this?", in which XML and ordering was the topic. I think
Tim Bray put it very well in one of his postings [1].

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

[1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200301/msg00551.html

Robert DiFalco wrote:

> How do most people feel about imposing a sibling element order
> significance? Consider the following:
>
> <Person>
>    <FirstName>William</FirstName>
>    <LastName>Burroughs</LastName>
>    <Occupation>Author</Occupation>
> </Person>
>
> In truth, the order of the elements under Person does not impact the
> semantic of a Person. A Person is complete if all items exist and we do
> not need to know the Name before the Occupation and so on. The child
> elements make up a set that does not require order but may require
> completeness.
>
> However, it seems harder to write parsers that process elements in a
> random ordering. So often, an arbitrary order is imposed (presumably) to
> make parsing easier.
>
> Being relatively new to XML, I am curious as to what the current thought
> is on this? Do most people impose an ordering or do they write their
> parser code to handle any order the elements may appear in.
>
> Of course, this isn't a big deal if my program is producing and
> consuming the XML. However, if I am consuming a document that a user
> produced, why should I force them to put FirstName, LastName, and
> Occupation into a particular order? A Person is still a Person if they
> appear as LastName, Occupation, and FirstName.
>
> Thoughts for an XML newbie to chew on? Is there a best practice for
> this?
>
> R.

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano