   Re: [xml-dev] Create XML

[Mitch Amiano]
> ....which was my point at the top. If you escape content every time you
call element(), and you nest element() calls, don't you have to play some
pretty funky tricks to avoid making entity references out of the delimiters
and entity references just placed into the content?

Oh, yes, I'm with you now.  I was thinking of something else (don't remember
what anymore).  Well, I think you have to play those tricks anyway, if you
might have some entities or character references included in the source.

The real point, I suppose, is whether to be doing those tricks several times
on the same content with nested element calls or avoid doing so by
converting at the end.  If your content is short or you have little nesting,
I doubt that it makes much difference which way you go.  It would only make
much difference if you had really large source or a lot of deep nested
calls.  Using javascript in a browser to create 5-10k output documents, it
was plenty fast enough so I did not care (of course, I could be mixing up my
cases and not had to do that kind of escaping in the task I an remembering).

Anyway, you can avoid using those nested calls and still use methods that
produce well-formed fragments.  It is just a nice convenience to be able to
use them that way if you want.

Cheers,

Tom P