   Re: [xml-dev] Attribute Order (Was: Create XML )

jonathan@openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden) writes:
>My question is how many folks need to care about these details? These
>details seem to fall on the wrong side of the 80/20 divide. I am not
>sure why I should get excited about attribute order, is there some
>application (outside an editor) where this ought be important?

I see treating attributes as unordered as a strange sort of feature, one
which deliberately discards information that was there anyway.
Effectively this is adding work to the actual XML processing, though it
may be work certain applications find useful.

Given that situation, I look at the 80/20 point differently - does
adding this 'feature' to the 20 side have much effect on the 80 side?  I
don't think it does, at least at the markup level.  I don't think it
adds any functionality which is actually necessary at this level to get
work done, while increasing costs.

I don't expect you to get excited about attribute order.  I do, however,
find it perverse that you expect me not to get excited about the fact
that you prefer to throw away information which I frequently find useful
in editing, and which is present in the document anyway.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!