   Re: [xml-dev] Attribute Order (Was: Create XML )

[David Megginson]

> This is a debate that long predates XML.  You'd have something like
>
>   <a>
>    <href>http://www.megginson.com/</href>
>    Megginson Technologies Ltd.
>   </a>
>
> instead of

> There is no information that I can think of that could not be
> represented in XML or SGML without attributes, and attributes add a
> noticeable amount of additional complexity to XML APIs.
>
> Personally, I like attributes and I'm glad that we took them from
> SGML, but I won't pretend that there's any justification other than
> stylistic preference.

Don't forget HTML.  To change HTML to well-formed XML with practically no
effort, XML needed attributes.  I know there was SGML-compatibility in
general, but the ability to work with xml-ized HTML in particular is a real
boon.

Cheers,

Tom P