   Re: [xml-dev] XML-escape string

mbatsis@netsmart.gr (Emmanuil Batsis (Manos)) writes:
>I'm sure there is some code out there and I'd like to avoid reinventing
>the wheel so...
>
>What I'm looking for is Java class/code that takes in a string and
>encodes illegal characters to entities.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "illegal characters"; if you mean
control characters, you'll need to come up with a representation that
doesn't use entities.

On the other hand, if you have a custom list of characters you want
converted to entities or back again, my Ents project may be a helpful
foundation:

http://simonstl.com/projects/ents

I was thinking in terms of documents, not strings, but the logic in
EntsRefsFilter shouldn't be that hard to reapply from a Reader to a
String.

I'll be revising and expanding Ents heavily this summer, so let me know
about changes or improvements you'd like to see.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!