   Re: [xml-dev] What does the "authority" in <scheme>://<authority> mean?

Rich Salz scripsit:

> Sort of.  RFC 2396 is a generic syntax.  For the http and https schemes,
> then the authority is DNS.  For an ldap scheme, the authority would be
> the RFC that defines LDAP->URI syntax.  For the rsalz scheme, the
> authority would be my wife. :)

The current draft of RFC 2396 bis, however, will restrict the authority
to DNS only when it becomes an RFC:

   Registry-based naming authorities that use the generic syntax
   authority component are now limited to DNS hostnames, since those
   have been the only such URIs in deployment.  This change was
   necessary to enable internationalized domain names to be processed in
   their native character encodings at the application layers above URI
   processing. The reg_name, server, and hostport productions have been
   removed to simplify parsing of the URI syntax.

--
John Cowan  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com  jcowan@reutershealth.com
"'My young friend, if you do not now, immediately and instantly, pull