   RE: [xml-dev] XUL Standardization: Lessons from the RSS Civil War

Sorry guys - I have no idea what happened there, it looks cropped in my
'Sent Items' box too - characters Outlook didn't like? I assure you I did
type something...

Anyhow, I only wanted to say that there wasn't only Tim's veteran's-eye view
of the situation (which is a big plus for the project), there was also the
emerging view of the group, and that the two didn't entirely coincide. The
biggest deviation so far is in an area that to an outsider might look
trivial - the non-use of the name RSS (the current working name is now
Echo). But the naming issue has probably been the biggest single fan of
flames in the RSS fork inferno, and there were many that would only support
a New Format if the name (and its political baggage) were dropped.

Using a different name also brings a great psychological/practical gain - it
feels ok to tear things up and start again. Has XUL really reached the point
where that is the only clear route forward?

Cheers,
Danny.