   Doc-Oriented vs. Data-Oriented Divide (WAS Re: [xml-dev] Is an element's

<Quote>
this docheads vs dataheads divide
</Quote>

I've come to realize lately this is merging into a 2-headed monster.
That is, the divide between "document-oriented XML" and "data-oriented
XML" is blurring. Most recently, I have been writing all of the W3C
Schemas (and XSLT Stylesheets where needed) for a U.S. federal
E-Government initiative called "E-Grants", a.k.a "grants.gov". My
schemas are used both as a "backbone" for electronic forms, as well as
for data exchange from the storefront to agencies. Forms technology has
advanced to the point in which the forms vendor we are using will have -
in their impending next release - the capability to have a "tight
coupling" between the schema and the form in which:

- All form validations (datatype, optionality, etc.) are driven directly
by the schema in real-time, and

- A XML document conforming to the schema that holds the form data can
be created directly from the form (using a form-field-to-XML-element
binding), with no need to perform an XSLT translation between the form
vendor's XML vocabulary and the vocabulary defined by the schema

It's all working out quite nicely.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Dave Pawson wrote:

> At 15:46 25/06/2003 -0400, Allen Razdow wrote:
> >IMO, because field-names (column names) in a relational database are
> >referred to as meta-data along with the rest of the database schema, XML
> >element names, and the schema/DTD are likewise meta-data relative to the
> >data in the element.  Clearly, "meta" is a recursive concept.  As they said
> >on Broadway, "Anything you can do I can do meta!"....:)
>
> Has anyone done any serious research into this docheads vs dataheads divide..
> if it exists?
>
> regards DaveP

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano