   RE: [xml-dev] XUL Standardization: Lessons from the RSS Civil War

That's good to see.  Still, as I said, I think that
the outcome there was inevitable.  What lessons there
are and what strategies work best given some end goal,
and what inferences might be drawn, these are as they
always are, debatable.  I've come to understand that
the CS market on the web is one where participation
comes with greater risks and not always greater rewards.
One should not ask 'cui bono?' but have that answer
at hand on startup.

As to what has been said about Dave's comments, behaviors,
etc. and in Tim's article comparing those to Goldfarb
pre-XML, I can only say we learn, hopefully, to control
our impulses, to defer to a later gratification today's
victory.  That is how we became the last hominids
standing.  If there are lessons there for XUL or for
choosing the organization to host echo, I don't think
they tend toward grassroots movements except where
those who initiate them understand the likelihood of
losing the helm and plan for it.

If you have a good market for your
product by then, it may not matter.

len

From: Danny Ayers [mailto:danny666@virgilio.it]

Depending on the conclusions you draw from the above, Dave has either
demonstrated his openness to progress or bowed to the inevitable :

"Tentative endorsement of Echo"

http://backend.userland.com/2003/06/26#a313