   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT vs. CSS (Re: Indexing)

Sounds like the distinction between Model/View/Controller, say, "Structure/Style/Medium"? (In terms of transformation processes, does this pattern already have another name in the XML community?) You don't really need pipelining to pursue that strategy, but it is certainly a popular approach.

Another way to look at it, is that CSS is part of the target grammar. Some part of that can be a set of immutable libraries, another part can be functionally derived or tunneled directly from the input. Either part might be something to tweak with a step in a pipeline (for, e.g.  different media), but a pipeline isn't necessary to accomplish the task.
Regards,

Mitch

Alaric B Snell wrote:

snip/