   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT vs. CSS (Re: Indexing)

[Simon St.Laurent]
> At 11:12 AM 7/9/2003 -0400, Didier PH Martin wrote:
> >Thus CSS is easier to learn but suffers from its inherent limitations.
XSLT
> >is a lot more powerful and versatile but suffers from a steep learning
> >curve.
>
> And, as noted at the beginning of the conversation, XSLT's lack of a
> cascade means that it too is limited, leaving users at the mercy of the
> choices of the original stylesheet developer when it comes to overriding
> declarations they find inappropriate.

 But once you start getting into doing tricky things with CSS, you learn
that the rules about what cascades where and how far are really hard to
grasp and remember.  That's even without fussing about specific
implementations.

BTW, for CSS-appreciaters (and I have become one), if you have not checked
out the XMLMind editor [1], do so.  There is a free version, and you can do
more-or-less WSYWIG editing of XML files provided you have a DTD or (XML)
schema, and can write a CSS stylesheet for display.  I just wrote a paper
for Extreme with it, and I am very happy it is available.  It does make you
follow the DTD if there is one, and you cannot edit the actual angle
brackets, but there is always Topologi (or Edit Plus, or Notepad, or...) for
that.

Cheers,

Tom P

[1] http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/