   Re: [xml-dev] Relax NG and Web Services (formerly Joining the church)

In a message dated 7/11/2003 1:04:55 AM US Mountain Standard Time, ricko@allette.com.au writes:

From: <MDaconta@aol.com>

>While there are possible workarounds, I don't believe the current web-service
>tools or specs support using Relax NG.  And when explaining this to policy makers,
>a custom workaround without significant benefits won't fly.

I think there are three possible good objections:

* WSDL does not allow other schema languages (wrong)

Can you show me an example of this using WSDL 1.1 that
I can run a code generator on (like WSDL2Java)?

* WSDL implementations require WSDL tools (wrong)

Your contention is that WSDL can just be used as a specification.
I do not believe this is its current common use or even the desired
use of it.

* WSDL requires a type system and RELAX NG is not useable a type system (wrong).

I think this depends more on the style of the Web Service (Document or
RPC based).  I am in favor of document-based web services so your point
is valid.

- Mike
Michael C. Daconta
Chief Scientist, APG, McDonald Bradley, Inc.
www.daconta.net