len

From: Robin Berjon [mailto:robin.berjon@expway.fr]

Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> I wonder how much of this is hardwired?  If we were wired differently,
> so that we preferred 3D to 2D, would our lecture theatres have, instead
> of the flat whiteboard, mechanical arms with great reach and several
> degrees of freedom, so that lecturers can put their 3D teaching artifacts
> on them, allowing placment of the objects in 3D around the lecture
> theatre?   That we don't do that kind of thing suggests not a lack of
> imagination or finance, but that it is not the way we usually communicate
> (perhaps even if only because the theatricality swamps the communication.)

If you think about it, one of the issues of communication with 3D objects is

that in order to efficiently communicate about/with them we need to all be
looking at them from roughly the same angle. This would likely be an issue
in
lecture theatres, one only needs to browse the ample documentation on the
same
issue for thespian theatres (scenography, etc) to get a feel for the
complexity
of the task. 2D OTOH looks substantially the same from a wide set of angles.