   RE: [xml-dev] Types, schmypes (was: Non-deterministic content models)

> At 10:22 16/07/2003 -0700, Jeff Lowery wrote:
> >Type assignment, like everything else, has it's trade-offs.
> >What it costs you:
> >1) more complex processing (x10, I think)
>
> Mike Kay seems to think not, and he's implemented it.

Content validation against datatypes isn't an added cost?  Or not ten times
as much of an added cost?  Hmm... what about exception handling, error
message localization, schema validation, schema parsing time. And what of
validation against true WXS value and lexical spaces, vs. approximating them
through language type mapping? What about costs of code generation (and
proxy layering on top of that), schema document resolution, and workarounds
for incompatibilities in parsers and schema validators?

It's more complex. Maybe not ten times, but it feels like it.