len

From: bryan [mailto:bry@itnisk.com]

>One has to understand that hypertext is a retrograde database
>with navigation controls embedded in context.

I always have problems when the dialogue gets too rarified, unless I'm
the one doing the rarifying of course. Can you add some support to the
term retrograde in that sentence?

>That doesn't
>mean it isn't useful.  Carts in some cultures are a major
>means of transportation and hauling.  In others, they are
>children's wagons.

The metaphor seems strained; for technology I often think metaphors are
not the way to draw relations, as often a too vast a leap of cognition
(for me at any rate) is required. Perhaps allegory would be better here,
actually I'm getting confused, is it the hypertext that is a retrograde
database that is like a cart?

Your argument seems to be that hypertext is analogous to a cart in that
a cart is an outmoded form of transportation, I doubt that anyone has
ever existed that has called a form of transportation x outmoded without
a form of transportation y in mind for replacing it, what is the form of
transportation y in this case and what are its benefits?