   Re: [xml-dev] Describing the relationships between units-of-measure?

<Quote1>
Let's suppose that units-of-measure are represented as properties, e.g,

   <River id="Yangtze">
        <length>
            <kilometer>6300</kilometer>
        </length>
   </River>

</Quote1>

My personal preference and style of representing this would be to
represent the unit of measure as an attribute of "length", because it
really does modify/describe/act as a property of the length:

   <River id="Yangtze">
        <length UOM="Km">6300</length>
   </River>

<Quote2>
Do you have any suggestions on how to syntactically represent this
relationship statement?
</Quote2>

How about OWL?

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

"Roger L. Costello" wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Let's suppose that units-of-measure are represented as properties, e.g,
>
>    <River id="Yangtze">
>         <length>
>             <kilometer>6300</kilometer>
>         </length>
>    </River>
>
> Here is an example where the length of the Yangtze River is described
> using a mile property:
>
>    <River id="Yangtze">
>         <length>
>             <mile>3914</mile>
>         </length>
>    </River>
>
> It would be very useful to be able to state the relationship between the
> kilometer and mile properties.  For example, suppose that I wish to
> define the kilometer property:
>
>     <Property id="kilometer">
>     </Property>
>
> When I define this property it would be very useful to express that this
> property is related to the mile property, e.g.,
>
>     <Property id="kilometer">
>         "This property is related to the mile property.  Namely,
>          if the value of a mile property is multiplied by 1.62
>          and it yields a value that is equal to the value of this
>          property, then the two properties are said to represent
>          the same distance."
>     </Property>
>
> Do you have any suggestions on how to syntactically represent this
> relationship statement?
>
> Here is a more complex example, showing a map location using two
> different coordinate systems:
>
> <Map id="M1">
>     <location>
>         <cartesian-coordinate>
>             <x>
>                 <kilometer>100</kilometer>
>             </x>
>             <y>
>                 <kilometer>100</kilometer>
>             </y>
>         </cartesian-coordinate>
>     </location>
> </Map>
>
> <Map id="M21">
>     <location>
>         <polar-coordinate>
>             <r>
>                 <kilometer>141.421</kilometer>
>             </r>
>             <theta>
>                 <radian>0.7341</radian>
>             </theta>
>         </polar-coordinate>
>     </location>
> </Map>
>
> It would be very useful to be able to state the relationship between
> these coordinate systems, e.g.,
>
>     <Property id="cartesian-coordinate">
>         "This property is related to the polar-coordinate
>          property.  Namely, if these equations are satisfied:
>              x = r sin theta
>              y = r cos theta
>          then the two properties are said to represent the same
>          location."
>     </Property>
>
> (For the moment let's ignore the conditions that Alaric noted yesterday)

> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano