   Re: [xml-dev] Sun is forking SAX

At 10:04 PM -0700 7/20/03, K. Ari Krupnikov wrote:

>I agree that these are poor interfaces, but aren't these the ones that
>the "full-size", j2SE JAXP specifies?

No, that's a very common misconception, and I don't know why.
SAXParser/SAXParserFactory were added to JAXP 1.0 because it only
supported SAX 1, which did not have any equivalent of
XMLReader/XMLReaderFactory. They are absolutely unnecessary with
SAX2, and they do not work as well as XMLReader/XMLReaderFactory. The
current version of JAXP, which supports SAX2, does include
XMLReader/XMLReaderFactory. In 2003 no new code should be written
with SAXParser/SAXParserFactory in J2ME or J2SE.

>This said, do you think it's a good idea to introduce
>incompatibilities between Java platforms at the cost of better
>interfaces in some of them? And then, is ME the right place to start?

J2ME by its nature is riddled with incompatibilities. It subsets many
APIs, not just SAX. THe question here is which classes should be
picked out of JAXP for the J2ME subset. Eliminating
SAXParser/SAXParserFactory and adding XMLReader/XMLReaderFactory
would be no more incompatible than the reverse.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu