   Re: [xml-dev] rss regularis(z)ation

At 2:44 PM -0400 7/21/03, David Megginson wrote:

>Just so.  While the RSS developer community may be a terrifying mess
>-- stilettos in everyone's back and all that -- RSS as a spec (or
>family of specs) is one of the few real successes XML can point to:
>information in XML actually distributed online to lots of users.

Except that RSS isn't XML. It claims to be, but in practice it isn't,
and many members of the RSS community are radically opposed to making
it real XML, with draconian error handling and markup encoded as
markup. If RSS is one of the few real successes we cam point to, then
something's seriously wrong with XML.

(Actually  I think there are more than a few real XML successes, so
that we don't have to count RSS. On the other hand, I do think REST
can count RSS as one if its real successes. )
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu