   Re: [xml-dev] the web client interface was RE: [xml-dev] Two link questi

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] the web client interface was RE: [xml-dev] Two link questions
  • From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:19:53 -0400

Len Bullard scripsit:

> 1.  Uncertain business models.  The lack of indemnification
> is a showstopper.  They better work that out pronto if
> they want to compete for big accounts.

True.

> 2.  Lack of IP. This makes it hard to stay competitive
> unless they innovate and obtain IP.   I don't mean the
> competition to get market share, but the competition
> to keep cash flow given costs.  I think the SCO
> episode is at least indicative of the problem.  They
> do need multiprocessor capabilities in Linux.

Linux *has* multiprocessor capabilities: 4 processors in 2.4, as
many as you want (within reason) in 2.5-2.6.  (The difference
is that the new scheduler schedules tasks in O(1) instead of O(n).)
The claim that these capabilities are derived from SCO code is
nothing but a lie: calling it FUD would be too polite.

> If the open source community owned common IP, they
> could make good deals and maintain cash flow positions.
> Otherwise, the low cost position evaporates in the
> face of licensing costs.  Indemnification costs
> exacerbate that.  Now can they acquire tradable
> IP and still meet the "exquisitely high standards"
> of the W3C patent policy?

They can't.  The positions "What I have I keep" and "What I
have I share" aren't compatible.  The only way to make it
work would be to acquire *irrelevant* IP, things that were
not needed for open-source implementation, and use that as
leverage.

> As to the operating system itself, at home I
> choose a platform for which a host of reliable
> sound processing utilities are available.  So
> it gets pretty specific when one starts to consider
> the desktop apps.  If I could afford it, I might
> switch to an all Apple solution, but then when
> I have to go home and do FoxPro work, I'm back
> to Windows.

Here's the WineHQ status report on FoxPro.  Summary: it basically works.
http://appdb.winehq.com/appview.php?appId=296;PHPSESSID=c6754c61eacca78ae628ce6b7826da20

> Good enough is good enough until it isn't.  I don't bet
> against open source.  I'm counting on it.  But they better
> get a lot smarter about what is required to do business
> in environments that require guarantees, warranties, etc.

The warranty becomes what you sell, yes.  The ketchup analogy works
well here:  there is no IP in ketchup recipes, but most people buy
rather than making their own.

--
All Gaul is divided into three parts: the part          John Cowan
that cooks with lard and goose fat, the part            www.ccil.org/~cowan