   Re: [xml-dev] more politics

Sean McGrath scripsit:

> I melted part of my brain recently with Saul Kripke's book "Naming and
> Necessity"[1].

/me pumps fist

Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  Kripke rulez!

> (a) URIs are inherently unknowable beyond
> their proper names (b) all we can ever have to work with are
> representations and (c) none of those representations can be relied upon
> in all possible worlds, therefore I'm with Tim on this one :-)

I think you mean that resources are inherently unknowable beyond their
proper names, or URIs.  URIs are manifest character strings and are
definitely knowable.

As for only having representations to work with, of course.  That's all
your brain has to work with either, but you automatically postulate a
world of objects which those representations actually represent.

--
Henry S. Thompson said, / "Syntactic, structural,               John Cowan
Value constraints we / Express on the fly."     jcowan@reutershealth.com