   RE: [xml-dev] filesystems

>Is that your translation of DSML's "Representing directory structural
>information as an XML document"?  That's not what I'm looking for, in
>any case.

No, since you said you didn't mean DSML, I was thinking more along the
lines of xml documents that could be integrated in any directory view as
further description of that view, i.e. not as subdirectories of the
directory.  Which I didn't think you meant either, which was why I asked
if what you meant was number 2.

>>If this were a GUI, all elements would be represented as folders,
>>attributes and text nodes as files

>Not necessarily represented using folder icons, but treated like a
>folder as something you can explore further, yes.

Well I'm just wondering what you, or other people would want the
attributes, text nodes, and other non-element nodes to be represented
as? I'm supposing that you want a generic xml solution, no matter what
xml file it is it will be loaded and displayed in the same way.

>The attributes I'd want to add to the filesystem are already in the
files >themselves,

so when you speak of adding attributes to the filesystem are you using
attributes like in this fork thread:
http://www.xent.com/pipermail/fork/2003-May/021171.html

or are you talking about xml attributes; is there meant to be a
relationship between the two? I'm sorry I'm just thinking of this in a
GUI way, you go to any xml file in a directory, you open that and this
file is presented as a subdirectory, what exactly would the relationship
of  attributes in the xml file be in this directory 'created' from the
xml file?