len

From: AndrewWatt2000@aol.com [mailto:AndrewWatt2000@aol.com]

I don't know how many on list are following developments with Microsoft's upcoming Longhorn OS (at least as far as it can be judged by publically available information).

Rumour, seemingly well-founded, suggests that Longhorn will have YAXUIL (Yet Another XML User Interface Language - my term, not Microsoft's) as a core part of the interface rather than XML. YAXUIL is, or so the rumours go, a Microsoft specific XML-based graphics language.

Personally I find it more than a little disappointing that Microsoft, who are talking up their open standards adherence on XML (with significant justification on some aspects) are bypassing SVG as an XML-based UI language.

I would be interested in reading comments of those who have information about the rationale for inventing YAXUIL for Longhorn when a standard 2D vector graphics language, SVG, already exists.