   Re: [xml-dev] Binary XML == "spawn of the devil" ?

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 12:04:20PM -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>robin.berjon@expway.fr (Robin Berjon) writes:
>>> Thanks - that makes it clear.  Seems like an odd omission.
>>
>>It is indeed. But there is no work that I know of going on around HTTP
>>so I'm unsure how much can be done.
>
>I don't think this work needs to happen in HTTP specifically - it seems
>like it could be broken out as a more general MIME-related issue.  This
>kind of encoding seems useful in contexts way beyond HTTP.

Content-Encoding is not a MIME header.

*sigh*  HTTP's authors had the bad taste to use the MIME-reserved prefix
"Content-" for headers in a protocol that is explicitly not MIME-compliant,
and without defining the applicability of those MIME-like headers to other
protocols (which admittedly would be difficult, since something like
Content-Encoding isn't particularly compatible with 7bit transmission).

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
To be whole is to be part; true voyage is return.