   RE: [xml-dev] Extract A Subset of a W3C XML Schema?

Thomas,

I have done this in two passes with XSLT. In my case, everything was in a
single big schema document, and I had to extract just the portion needed to
validate documents based on a single root element.

The schema document I was dealing with was big, but relatively simple.

The first pass went iteratively through the schema starting at the
definition of the root element of the instance. It copied all data type
definitions and element definitions, carrying out the same extraction
process on them. Here is a typical template:

	<xsl:template match="xs:complexType[@name]">
		<xsl:copy-of select="."/>
		<xsl:apply-templates select=".//xs:element"/>
		<!-- do the extensions and restrictions of simple and complex data
types -->
		<xsl:apply-templates
select="/xs:schema/xs:complexType[@name=current()/*/*/@base]"/>
		<xsl:apply-templates
select="/xs:schema/xs:simpleType[@name=current()/*/*/@base]"/>
	</xsl:template>

This creates a document with all the definitions required, but many will be
repeated. The second stylesheet removes the repeats.

In this case, there was just a single target namespace. You have several,
which makes things substantially more complex. Not impossible - just harder.
I think one extra stylesheet and some script is needed.

Regards

Paul Spencer
Director
Boynings Consulting Ltd