   Re: [xml-dev] Binary XML == "spawn of the devil" ?

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Binary XML == "spawn of the devil" ?
  • From: Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 19:52:19 -0400

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 07:02:28PM +0200, Robin Berjon wrote:
> But then it is my understanding that the bInfoset workshop is open to
> the public, provided one submits a position paper.

Yes.

I think that the public announcement was delayed -- I was on vacation
away from the Internet for 10 days, and am still catching up.  But as
someone else said already, the delay between W3C Member annuoncement
and public announcement was intended to be only a few days, and was to
give members a slightly better chance to apply, not to make the
workshop a secret.  After all, they pay to attend W3C functions :-)

As chair of the workshop, I would welcome anyone who submits a clear
position paper, whether it's showing how a binary representation can
interoperate, or whether it's explaining why the whole thing is a
bad idea.  There's no intent to pre-judge whether W3C (or anyone else)
should standardise on a binary interchange or compression format,
but rather, an intent to explore whether it makes sense to do so.

I hope this helps.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C XML Activity Lead, liam@w3.org, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/