   RE: [xml-dev] A standard approach to glueing together reusableXML fragm

Hierarchical model had to represent all relationships using parent-child.
There was no concept of foreign keys. Hence redundancy cannot be avoided,
if you want to represent m:n relationships.

for example, if you want to represent books, people, and authors of books
who are people. If a book can be written by many people, and a person can
write many books, then hierarchical model will have redundancies.

An example is:

Suppose, "Compilers" is written by Hopcroft and Ullman, and "Automata" is
written by Motwani and Ullman. Suppose books also have attributes like
publisher, and authors also have say age..

What we need in such cases is to be able to represent relationships other
than using hierarchies. This should be represented in schema, much like
relational schema. XML provides 2 ways of doing so, which are foreign
keys, and also IDREF (which is similar to foreign keys)..

XML also has an equivalent 3rd normal form, which will exhibit the same
properties. This is still ongoing work, but I believe there is excellent
progress by folks at University of Toronto, and some folks who used to be
at UCLA :)

cheers and regards - murali.