   RE: [xml-dev] Re: RE : [xml-dev] Text or tags choice with XSD

  • To: "Jeni Tennison" <jeni@jenitennison.com>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Re: RE : [xml-dev] Text or tags choice with XSD
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:06:25 -0700
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

I disagree that the distinction isn't significant. For instance in XQuery this means

      fn:data(/time);

could return xdt:anyAtomicType, thus

     fn:get-hours-from-time(/time)

cannot be checked statically but instead must resort to dynamic failures.  This is just one of many places where W3C XML Schema's inconsistent rules cause problems for type checking in XQuery.