   Re: [xml-dev] Web Services and Quality

<Quote1>
Basically, the first problem is about QoS: if a web service fail what do
you do. Where do I go if a web service fails? To a new one? Which one?
</Quote1>

One possibility would be that a failed Web service would be taken out of
the equation - that is, it would not be considered in the final "mix" of
Web services whose results are ranked by the requesting Web service.
Another possibility is that the requesting Web service could require (as
one of its criteria) that a Web service be compliant with a widely
accepted reliable messaging protocol (several are under development at
this time) and if it is not, then it won't be considered (i.e. that
could be a "showstopper" criterion).

<Quote2>
Where do I find them (which UDDI directory should I check and what if it
is not avalaible :=))
</Quote2>

This aspect is about Communities of Interest. A UDDI or ebXML Registry
(or network of federated registies) could be established for a given
industry, and vendors/businesses would join this network because of the
visibility (and subsequent business) it would bring them. Here's an
example from a recent announcement (May 2003[1]):

"Picture Services Network, Inc. (PSN) today announced the selection of
Systinet Corporation to provide its Universal Description, Discovery and
Integration (UDDI) registry for the PSN Directory Service. The PSN
Directory Service provides a cost-effective means for any camera
manufacturer, photofinishing company, or online photo service to make it
easy for their customers to find, access or use digital photography
services."

The "not available" aspect would be covered in my response to <Quote1>
above (i.e. the same concept could apply to registries, as registries
would be accessable via Web services).

<Quote3>
The second problem is about choosing a web service: how do I choose
between 2 web services ?
</Quote3>

This is actually much more extensive - it's about how to choose between
a very large (potentially almost infinite) number of Web services.

<Quote4>
Then if you find a web service, how do you consume it after buying it:
</Quote4>

Ah, payment is another aspect that I intentionally left out. Hold that
thought - I don't think we'll get there until the world realizes the
value of paying to use a Web service. I see that as just beyond where
we're heading in this thread.

<Quote5>
the service might be the same functionnaly but have different SOAP API.
Hiow could I reconfigure it dynamically.
</Quote5>

You probably would not "reconfigure dynamically" (combining those 2
words sounds dangerous to me). Let's assume that Web services in this
scenario are all using SOAP in a way that makes them compatible.

<Quote6>
Tim Berner-Lee's OWL (http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/) try to answer to
some of theses problem I think.
</Quote6>

Yes - I'm actually thinking beyond OWL here. Let's assume that OWL is in
place and working quite well, and take it from there.

<Quote7>
Eventually, arrive the problem of the cheaters like the porn web site
you find on google when looking for a CS science paper (actually it did
happen to me but this is slightly outsubject :=))
</Quote7>

I think I'll leave that one alone. ;)

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

[1] http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2003-05-23-a.html

Nicolas Toper wrote:

> I'm at work so I don't have my bookmarks around but here are some stuff that
> might help:
>
> http://csdl.computer.org/comp/proceedings/euromicro-pdp/2002/1444/00/1444010
> 9abs.htm
>
> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-04-2001/jw-0413-jiniology.html
>
> http://wwws.sun.com/software/jini/whitepapers/rio_architecture_overview.pdf
>
> Basically, the first problem is about QoS: if a web service fail what do you
> do. Where do I go if a web service fails? To a new one? Which one? Where do
> I find them (which UDDI directory should I check and what if it is not
> avalaible :=))
>
> The second problem is about choosing a web service: how do I choose between
> 2 web services ? This is as I said the same problem Google, Yahoo, and so
> on, are confronted with...
>
> Then if you find a web service, how do you consume it after buying it: the
> service might be the same functionnaly but have different SOAP API. Hiow
> could I reconfigure it dynamically.
>
> Tim Berner-Lee's OWL (http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/) try to answer to some
> of theses problem I think.
>
> Eventually, arrive the problem of the cheaters like the porn web site you
> find on google when looking for a CS science paper (actually it did happen
> to me but this is slightly outsubject :=))
>
> so where do we start :=)?

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano