   Re: [xml-dev] Data Oriented and Document Oriented Defintions

Mike Champion <mc@xegesis.org> writes:

> - [quoting directly from Prescod] "Data-oriented
> systems tend to prefer object types to be detectable
> independent of context (thus namespaces) whereas
> document processing is typically done top-down
> recursively so relying on context is natural."

I'm not sure about that one. I found myself using namespaces in STnG
where I could have used context precisely because the documents are
intended to be human-readable (and human-authorable) and I want the
reader to see what he is dealing with. I use a
sort-of-literate-programming style, where fragments of RLAXNG, XSLT
and my own declarations are documented using fragments of XHTML. I
want the reader to be able to know right away which part of the
document he's looking at without having to scroll up or down to find
the context.

Ari.
[full document at http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/stng/STnG/literate/reader.sld?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup]

<sld:stingie>
  <sld:name>st:reader</sld:name>
  <sld:class>reader</sld:class>

  <sld:content-model>
    <rng:element name="st:reader">
      <rng:zeroOrMore>
        <!-- other RNG declarations -->
      </rng:zeroOrMore>
    </rng:element>
  </sld:content-model>

  <sld:effect>
    <h:p>Specifies an XML reader and a way to control its reatures and
    properties.</h:p>
    <!-- more XHTML documentation -->
  </sld:effect>

  <sld:examples>
    <sld:example title="A validating identity transform">
      <sld:stng>
        <sld:block-xml xml:space="preserve">
          <!-- any XML cn go here -->
        </sld:block-xml>
      </sld:stng>

      <h:p>This STnG specifies only a reader, with no filter and a
      defaulted serializer. On the reader, valudation is turned on and
      namespace processing is turned off. You can use this STNG as a
      simple command-line validator. The input document is serialized
      back to standard output. Note that the validator will add and
      attibutes defaulted in the DTD.</h:p>

    </sld:example>
  </sld:examples>

  <sld:implementation>
    <java:class package="org.xml.sax">XMLReader</java:class>
    <java:variable-prefix>xr</java:variable-prefix>

    <sjc:complet>
      <sjc:template>
        <xsl:choose>
          <xsl:when test="@java:class!='org.xml.sax.XMLReader'">
            <!-- Non-default: user specified a class explicitly -->
            <sjc:class/> <sjc:identifier/> = new <sjc:class/> ();
          <!-- more XSLT  -->
      </xsl:template>
    </sjc:complet>

  </sld:implementation>