   Re: [xml-dev] Complex Systems [was: Ontologies vs Schemas vs Transformat

Ah, interesting - I'll have to check this out. I was thinking in terms
of chaos theory, as chaotic systems are "mathematically deterministic
but nearly impossible to predict" [1]. Thanks for the clarification.

Joe

[1] http://www.mathjmendl.org/chaos/#intro

"Roger L. Costello" wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> No, I really did mean to say non-deterministic.  (My understanding is) that
> complex systems may appear non-deterministic, but there are underlying
> patterns that once recognized will allow you to predict the behavior.  Until
> you understand those underlying patterns it appears non-deterministic.
> /Roger
>
> Chiusano Joseph wrote:
>
> > <Quote>
> > A complex system is one that has lots of parts, which interact,
> > and the system behaves in a seemingly non-deterministic fashion
> > </Quote>
> >
> > Roger, I think you meant to say seemingly *deterministic* fashion...
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> > Joe Chiusano
> > Booz | Allen | Hamilton
> >
> > "Roger L. Costello" wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Mike,

> > > You make excellent points.  I will offer two comments:
> > >
> > > 1. In the RDF Primer are several examples of companies that are
> > > currently using RDFS ontologies.  Shelley Power's book on RDF also has
> > > examples.
> > >
> > > 2. Recently I have been doing some reading on "complex systems".  This
> > > is a new, highly interdisciplinary science that has its roots in Chaos
> > > Theory.  A complex system is one that has lots of parts, which interact,
> > > and the system behaves in a seemingly non-deterministic fashion.  A
> > > example of a complex system is the stock market - there are many parts,
> > > and one part (I think they call it an affector) can impact remote
> > > parts.  The complex systems people distinguish between a complex system
> > > and a complicated system.  An automobile engine is an example of a
> > > complicated system - if you understand all its parts then you can
> > > predict exactly how it will behave.  This is not a complex system.  A
> > > colleague defined a complex system as "a system that has dynamic
> > > complicatedness".
> > >
> > > As I read your words it occurred to me that what you are really talking
> > > about is a complex system.  As I learn more about complex systems, I
> > > intend to see how their techniques can be used to solve the issues that
> > > you raise.  This is exciting!  It might be fun to create a list to
> > > discuss semantics and data interoperability as a complex system?  I am
> > > just starting to learn about complex systems.  Does anyone have a lot of
> > > experience with it?   /Roger
> > >
> > > P.S. The Santa Fe Institute does work on complex systems.  Also, as does
> > > the New England Complex Systems Institute (http://www.necsi.org)
> > >
> > > P.S. A nice pop-science book on complex systems is called Complexity by
> > > Waldrup

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano