   Re: [xml-dev] [proposal] XPath API for Java

Bill de hÓra <bill@dehora.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've been through a ton of DOM-in-Java programming in the last 12
> months. You learn early on to use XPaths where possible to keep the
> code flexible and clean. But one of the annoying about using XPath in
> Java is that it's all library specific.

> So here's a proposed api:
>

>    public interface XPath

>      List match( Node target, String xpath, Map namespaces );

I think an interface with only a single method is of limited value,
given the range of XPath uses.

One thing I'd consider is a convenience method getSingleNode with the
same arguments - to eliminate the unnecessary cast (I realize things
will change in 2.0, but I hear some folks are sticking with 1.0). I
wasn't sure which List you refer to from the import statements; I
wouldn't use java.util.List because of the casting - consider the
better-typed NodeList.

I would also consider getBooleanValue() and getStringValue(). Also to
consider - what kind of exception will this class throw, for malformed
XPath strings, for instance. Will it be a subclass of DOMException?
Use a non-standard error code? many DOM application only declare
DOMException in their methods.

Ari.