   RE: [xml-dev] some days I'm wrong

> The most important point is that we shouldn't generalize that XML compact
> syntaxes are good because RNC is good. No one should use RNC to justify
> their own compact syntax; they must justify their compact syntax on its
> own
> terms.

How about we all just agree that in practice all such compact syntaxes must
have an XML translation and a reference tool to do the translating?

True, if you're on an oddball platform that the reference tool doesn't
support, you'll have to write your own translator; that could lead to
incompatible translations.  Nonetheless, these sorts of incompatibility
issues crop up in pure XML tools right now.

It's not a perfect world, I'm afraid. Probably a good thing for most of us.