   Re: [xml-dev] relax ng public list?

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> writes:

> RNC certainly.  A GUI user doesn't need a simplified
> syntax.

A GUI vs. text, as with any different-level-of-abstraction level
symbolic systems, is a tradeoff between ease and control. RELAX NG
doesn't have enough complexity to make giving up control worth the
marginal added ease for many people (no more than a speculation,
again). I'm sure someone somewhere wrote a GUI to edit /etc/fstab, but
I don't see a wide acceptance.

> why shouldn't VS enable one
> to select the schema language?  Is it an issue of
> 'the W3C sanctioned this one and we are good members',
> or 'this came first and we had sweat equity in it,
> and you only need one', or 'sounds good, maybe later'?

Last time I speculated on that [1], you called me a conspiracy
theorist :=)

> A shot in the dark:  RELAX NG is not perceived as an
> interesting technology in the domain where many desktop
> and services vendors are focused at the moment: web services.
>
> Would that perception be wrong?

Again, I think people who do "WS the VS way" are not the kind of
people who appreciate an elegant tool for a more civilized age.

Ari.

[1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200209/msg00792.html