   Re: [xml-dev] OCLC turns evil (was ISO turns evil?)

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

>What's next?  A charge for using the Dublin Core vocabulary?

I have long had serious issues with these practices, for example SNOMEDs
charges for use of the SNOMED classification system. On the other hand,
SNOMED, for example, has spent $ millions to develop the classification
system (albeit lots of it funded by the NIH), and there certainly ought
to be a mechanism in place to fund the maintainance and continued
development of classifications. Thank goodness the US as well as  UK
governments have stepped up to the plate and licensed SNOMED for use in
their respective countries. I'm still a bit uneasy about using
classifications that aren't unencumbered but think this is a reasonable
compromise.

>I guess it's time to stop using anything that isn't explicitly placed in
>the public domain or licensed openly, since even the institutions that
>are supposed to be encouraging people to use technology are getting far
>too interested in making a buck. (Network Solutions seems to be the
>leader of the pack in this category, but the virus is spreading.)

Well the issue is that if the government is going to use the public's
tax dollars to fund research, the public should get the benefit of that
research etc. Netsol should be placed on a leash similar to MITRE's and
prevented from competing unfairly in the marketplace on the basis of
being the recipient of a privileged contract.

>This trademark case is pathetic.

oh yes. Dublic Core could be, and probably should be, duplicated in
about a millisecond

Jonathan