   incremental XML outputting and handling of huge DOM trees

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: incremental XML outputting and handling of huge DOM trees
  • From: Jens Lauer <jens.lauer@mail.nicsys.de>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:37:52 +0200

Hi,

as a newbee in this group I try to place a posting regarding a
programming problem we are currently in.
These probleme I already tried to explain in the XMC4C forum but got no
answer until now - so I try to post it to a much larger auditorium...

We have made an application, which collects data frome some HW and
transformes it via XML from a lower up to a higher layer whithin the
software where it will be displayed to the user.

Unfortunately we have done some design errors:

1) we took the msxml3.dll and so
a) we have to register it after SW install at a new machine
b) for doing this we need admin-rights
c) we cannot debug in the XML-part because it is a COM-object
d) by some reasons we cannot resolve the SW is faily instable under W98
c) it is MS

2) we collect - and this is the main problem - all incoming data from
startup of the program in a DOM tree in memory. After the user has given
the save command we finalize the data and print it into an XML file.
The huge und unrestricted DOM tree is a nasty bug. The finalyzing und
printing may easily takes some minutes  and collecting data in RAM (DOM)
canot be the final whisdom...
We cannot log the DOM data with every newly created node because
printing requires finalyzing and adds the XML header every time.

My idea after finding the XML4C library was to evaluate it if it would
be better suited for our purpose because it seems to catch all the
disadvantages of the MSXML dll and it is REALY GREAT structured and
READABLE.

I looked at the printing methods for finding a way to bypass the
creation of XML headers.
I found the feature 'DOMPrintFilter' and tried to play with it it that
sense to find the way for printing only the contents of a DOM node
without headers, but I failed.

I tried to use the DomPrint example but even playing with the settings
of the DOMPrintFilter for printing out only the comments ( myFilter =
new DOMPrintFilter( DOMNodeFilter::SHOW_COMMENT ) ) don't brings success.

Now my questions:

Is there any experience with such a SW-structure like we have created (
collecting huge DOM-trees)?
How do this people handle printing out to XML files?
Do this people mark some nodes for printing, print them (maybe initiated
by another thread) and erase them, help keeping the DOM size restricted?
Is it possible to suppress the printing of XML headers every time the
DOMwriter writes (using some standard ways without patching the software)?
What library/parser/dll  are recommendable if (like we have to) Wintel
architectures have to be used?

much thanks in advance

--jens