   Re: [xml-dev] A Few Thoughts on an Ontology as a Self Organizing System

> How can we create an ontology that evolves?  Here is a thought: express
> semantic relationships in an XSLT document!  An XSLT stylesheet has an
> interesting property of being able to output a modified version of
> itself, i.e., the output of the stylesheet is another, modified,
> stylesheet.  The output stylesheet may contain template rules that have
> been modified to reflect changing semantics, and additional template
> rules that contain new semantic relationships.

Roger,

I think you found the crux of that discussion in Mike's point. As I read
your message I thought it would be helpful to establish what we mean by
flux/change specifically (if not limitedly) for the sake of exploration. I
am admitedly a newbie in this area...

For example, given a sample "system" (working with cameras is fine) what are
the areas of change that we are worried about-- some possible cases:

1) Someone removes an existing ontology (e.g. they decide SLRs never
existed)
2) Someone adds a new ontology (e.g. a new camera type called an FBR is
invented)
3) Someone changes an existing ontology (e.g. f-stop comes to mean
Flash-Stop)

In the third case the notion of locality (both existing for time and space)
as Len mentioned becomes important. Are we examining a document that was
created with an early notion of f-stop or the more recent changed meaning?

As for how to represent the ontology properties in XSLT, what if it was done
using something like

<xsl:call-template name="equivalentClass" select="Cameras/Kinds">
        <xsl:with-param name="ID" select="Camera" />
</xsl:call-template>

Cheers,
Jeff Rafter