   Re: [xml-dev] Beyond Ontologies

Just a fuzzy thought:

The notion of static vs. dynamic in regards to ontologies reminds me
roughly of this notion as applied to static vs. dynamic Web services.
That is, a static representation of the characteristics of a Web service
(e.g. WSDL document) vs. a dynamic choreography involving multiple Web
services (the Web Services process/choreography work going on now in W3C
and OASIS). Not sure if there's even a remote parallel to be found, but
just thought I'd throw it out there...

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

"Roger L. Costello" wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I think it is clear that except for trivial, academic cases RDF Schema
> and OWL do not have the robustness to capture the dynamically changing
> nature of real-world semantics.  To do so, we must go beyond these
> ontology languages.
>
> I have compiled a somewhat random (chaotic) list of statements which I
> feel expresses much of what has been discussed:
>
> - Ontology languages such as RDF Schema and OWL provide the ability to
> *statically* capture semantic relationships.
>
> - Semantics is constantly changing.  All of life is constantly
> changing.  In fact, change is the only constant.
>
> - Capturing in an ontology constant change would require massive,
> full-time ontology maintenance.
>
> - The Zen art of mindfulness teaches how to see life (and change) as it
> really is by being "here and now".
>
> - The technology equivalent to the Zen art of mindfulness *may* be to
> continuously sample communications.  That is, keep up with evolving
> semantics by continuously sampling real communications.  Then apply
> heuristic and statistical techniques to deduce semantics.
>
> This table attempts to contrast what ontologies provides today vice
> what is required:
>
> Ontology                    Beyond Ontologies
> Equilibrium, stability,     Structure, pattern,
> static, deterministic       self-organization
> dynamics
>
> Identical resources          Resources separate
>                              and different
>
> Relationships are subtypes   Relationships are
> and synonyms                 patterns and possibilities
>
> No real dynamics in the      Semantics is constantly
> sense that everything is     coalescing, decaying,
> statically, declaratively    changing
> expressed
>
> Sees subject as               Sees subject as inherently
> structurally simple           complex
>
> Semantics as graphs           Semantics as high-complexity
>                               science
>
> Comments?  /Roger

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano