   RE: [xml-dev] Beyond Ontologies

> Sorry, I wasn't clear.  My point here was to contrast treating semantics
> using graphs (which is used to capture snapshots) vice using the field of
> complex systems to capture dynamically changing relationships.  /Roger

Somewhere near your question is the difference between discrete and
continuous systems (of which time is just an example). In terms of (digital)
computer systems this points towards the contrast between
statistical/numeric (may be sampled analogue) and formal logic-based
systems. I don't think it's particularly difficult to bridge the gap (I've
got some things to try ;-), but the payoffs are potentially enormous - as a
simple example, it would put Google on the Semantic Web.

Cheers,
Danny.