   FW: [ANN]: XQuery: A Guided Tour

Jonathan's chapter provides a great introductory overview of XQuery
features. Don Chamberlin's excellent chapter on "Influences on the Design of
XQuery" can also be found online at

     http://www.informit.com/content/downloads/chap2_0321180607.pdf

Don's chapter provides, among other things, a clear exposition on a number
of the "watershed issues" that the working group had to deal with during
early deliberations on XQuery, such as what is a type in XQuery, how is
untyped data handled in the absence of a schema, how does element
construction work, what should the sorting model look like, etc. etc.

Howard Katz
Editor, "XQuery from the Experts," Addison-Wesley 2003
http://www.awprofessional.com/titles/0321180607