   RE: [xml-dev] Beyond Ontologies

>why would the internet be turing complete?
I said "If the Internet itself is Turing complete I guess it could." I
suppose that implies that I think it is, and in a way I do although I
realize at the same time to do so is somewhat ridiculous.

Hmm, actually the operations http uses could perhaps be used to create
some really big and unwieldy Turing machine but that really wasn't what
I was thinking about when I got myself in this situation.

I was thinking at a far enough distance, which distance I can achieve by
leaning my head way back in my chair and looking straight up, the
individual programming languages and processes sitting on individual
addresses performing calculations on the inputs sent to them, begin to
seem insignificant, that the network itself begins to look like a
program calling these addresses as its subroutines. (By the way did
anyone ever see that study that a large number of IT workers had smoked
pot before? Fascinating stuff.)

The somewhat heady arguments/proposals/wars that go on here every now
and then about the Semantic Web, Soap, Rest, and what not in some way
seem related to this vision. The Semantic Web having at past times been
characterized as a AI project that could work, if so I have a hard time
considering AI without at least Turing Completeness.

>The Web especially the blogsphere and virusphere could be seen as
chaotic

Chaotic in a social sense, but is it Chaotic in the technical sense. I
think the virus-sphere probably is.