   Re: [xml-dev] Managing Innovation

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Managing Innovation
  • From: ari@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (K. Ari Krupnikov)
  • Date: 01 Oct 2003 02:03:19 -0700
  • Sender: ari@fbsd-machine.lib.aero

"Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com> writes:

> The main thing the Unix family of operating systems have going for
> them with regards to security is [...] and their lack of mainstream
> adoption than on their qualities as a "secure system".

What canard. What the Unix family of operating systems have going for
them is the diversity of things that live in it and the clear
demarcation lines between components. Contrast this with your
employer's offering with its single stack all the way from hardware to
user applications, "tightly integrated" into each other, into each
other's bugs and vulnerabilities.

Half the security problems in MS Windows are caused by MS Office
attachments with MS VBA scripts that MS Outlook opens. When UNIX has
90% of the desktop market, it will all be different systems with
different vulnerabilities, and the number of different mail agents is
another order of magnitude higher. The worm that works on my FreeBSD
on Intel can't get your Solaris on Sparc.

There's value in diversity and multiculturalism, and it's the same
for biological ecosystems, investment banking, human societies and
computer software.

Ari.

--
Elections only count as free and trials as fair if you can loose
money betting on the outcome.