   Re: [xml-dev] Beyond Ontologies

cowan@mercury.ccil.org (John Cowan) writes:
>Jonathan Borden scripsit:
>
>> 4) One might distinguish between "legal father of" and "biological
>> father of". I've already provided for the fact that the "father of"
>> someone might be unknown. Indeed I've never met Simon's father, and
>> have no knowledge of *any* details about him save for the fact that
>> he fathered Simon.
>
>I spoke to him once, briefly, under the impression that he *was* Simon
>-- his name is also Simon St. Laurent.

My grandfather's name was also Simon St.Laurent.  No Jr., Sr., whatever
- we all have different middle names, though none of us use them. I
believe that "have a middle name but ignore it" tradition began with my
grandfather, who hated his middle name of Narcisse.

My father and I both use SSL for initials as well.  We live in the same
area code, and  occasionally get calls for "the [other] Simon St.Laurent
who lives in upstate New York".  I sometimes get email from people
looking for my father - I suspect that's because of Google.

(There's also at least one Simon St-Laurent from Quebec who turns up a
lot in Google newgroups, with very different interests from my own.  I'm
sure he's someone's son as well.)

(I do use the hyphenated form of my last name when dealing with computer
systems that can't take periods in names.  North Carolina's driver
license registry was like that, as is Salon's subscriber payment
system.)

(Parens could go on.  One reason I like conferences in Montreal is that
hotel staff know where to find my name in a sorted list.)

I kind of like being difficult to identify precisely, though it does
make for occasional complications.