   RE: [xml-dev] Managing Innovation

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 23:51, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Yes.  That is why some are running 24x7x365
> organizations to find security holes, fix them, and
> get the announcements out faster than they can be exploited.
> There are big problems when the announcements go out
> and are ignored, not understood, or the user doesn't
> have the competence to do the work.  There is a bigger
> problem if the hole is in systems that sit on the majority
> of desktops and some number of servers.  That is the
> monoculture problem.  On the other hand, one could
> make the claim that if there is only one system to hit,
> there is only one system to fix.
>
> Innovation in finding, fixing, and getting fixes on
> the machines is of value.  I think that is happening.
> Every system has these problems, so sharing the innovations
> will be of value to everyone.  It is likely that
> wiser and calmer minds will come to that conclusion
> and work to that end.

that's why i primarily use windows 2000/xp and redhat linux distros -
redhat in particular is very fast at getting fixes out - so they
obviously recognise the problem from a business perspective. ximian has
an alternative that is almost as good. microsoft does the job, but i
find it's response a bit patchy although i haven't done the stats.
basically i watch the announcements from cert and then how long to get a
fix from the vendor.