   [Fwd: [FWD: Re: ebXML: Will it Gain Traction in the US?]]

Yesterday I posted a message to the ebXML-dev listserv on the subject of
ebXML adoption. Through a discussion at a recent event and an
examination of recent articles in ebXML Forum, it seemed to me that
ebXML adoption has been much greater in Asia and Europe than here in the
U.S.

Alan Kotok responded to me and asked that I send his response to
XML-dev. Below please see my original ebXML-dev posting
(<OriginalPosting>) followed by Alan's response (<Response>) which
addresses - among other aspects - the aspect of ebXML and Web services.

<OriginalPosting>
Last evening I attended a technology session (Semantic Web) here in the
Washington D.C. area, and the discussion drifted briefly toward adoption
of ebXML worldwide. Several attendees expressed sentiments that it
appears that ebXML (as a whole) is gaining a lot of traction in Europe
and Asia, but not here in the US (please note: I am not expressing my
view, but rather the view of the attendees). One attendee noted the
following 3 recent articles on ebXML Forum:

- "Report recommends adoption of ebXML for European public
administration networks"

- "Two new ebXML applications unveiled in Hong Kong"

- "ebXML gains traction in Japan"

My questions are:

(1) Is this observation valid?

(2) If so, what is the projected future direction of ebXML adoption here
in the US? Will it increase, decrease, or remain the same?

(3) If we were to consider the various "components" of ebXML (business
processes, registry, collaboration, etc.) rather than ebXML as a
framework, do any components in particular look more promising than
others for adoption here in the US?
</OriginalPosting>

Alan Kotok's response is (copy/pasted from the thread below):

<Response>
Good observations.  There is indeed more noise -- it has long ceased to
be a buzz -- about Web services in North America that one probably does
not find in Asia or Europe.  And you get as a result a prevailing belief
in the North American IT community that Web services and ebXML conflict.
We need to continue, if not redouble, our communications efforts to show
that Web services do not conflict with ebXML ... ebXML is Web services.

In some respects, however, it is also a structural problem.  In Europe
and Asia, you have more leadership from quasi-official industry groups
who can make top-down endorsements of ebXML (e.g. IDA in Europe) and
sponsor implementation exercises (ebXML Asia and its affiliates). In the
U.S. at least, we have fewer institutions performing the same kind of
functions. Thus, every press release tends to get equal weight in the IT
media mix.  And, as a result, the list of impressive ebXML
implementations that Farrukh mentions gets lost in the noise.

Alan Kotok
AlanKotok@cs.com
http://www.technewslit.com/
Author: Handbook of EDI, 2003 edition (Thompson/RIA, Fall 2003)
Editor, ebXML Forum, http://www.ebxmlforum.org/
</Response>

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
--- Begin Message ---
Alan,

I'm not on xml-dev either - but I know Joe is - so I'm sure he
will be happy to post it for you.

Thanks, DW.

Message text written by INTERNET:AlanKotok@cs.com

Farrukh, Joseph, et al.