   Re: [xml-dev] Fwd: [e-lang] Protocol implementation errors

Alessandro Triglia wrote:

> Decoding ASN.1 BER/DER is not particularly difficult.  The procedure is
> specified in pages 10-37 of X.690 (*), which has been around for two
> decades.  If there are buggy implementations out there, they are not due to
> the alleged complexity of ASN.1, but to careless programming and superficial
> testing.

Empirically, though, when I have been faced with actual BER data,
*ER-reading tools have been hard to find and of generally lousy quality.
  This is not the case with XML tools.  Assuming you are correct about
the difficulty, I assume this is a result of cultural and market rather
than technical issues. -Tim