   Re: [xml-dev] Is google a conceptual graph engine?

Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Question: is the web agile or static? Is it possible to create a perfect
> model? If not, how can it be changed? This leads to the problem of version.
> I tried to see if an OWL model includes a versioning mechanism but wasn't
> able to find it. Maybe I have not looked at the right place. Where is it
> specified?

OWL was designed with versioning in mind.  For example, look in the "OWL
Web Ontology Language Overview"

http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-features

"Versioning:

     * versionInfo
     * priorVersion
     * backwardCompatibleWith
     * inCompatibleWith
     * DeprecatedClass
     * DeprecatedProperty"

> Note: John Sowa proposed the following definition for a prototype based
> ontology
>
> prototype-based ontology.
> A terminological ontology whose categories are distinguished by typical
> instances or prototypes rather than by axioms and definitions in logic. For
> every category c in a prototype-based ontology, there must be a prototype p
> and a measure of semantic distance d(x,y,c),

That's the problem for common usage - how to define the distance.

> ... As an example, a black cat and an orange cat would be considered very
> similar as instances of the category Animal, since their common catlike
> properties would be the most significant for distinguishing them from other
> kinds of animals. But in the category Cat, they would share their catlike
> properties with all the other kinds of cats, and the difference in color
> would be more significant. In the category BlackEntity, color would be the
> most relevant property, and the black cat would be closer to a crow or a
> lump of coal than to the orange cat.

Notice how similar this is to fuzzy classification.  You have described
a notion of "how well" a black cat fits the category BlackEntity - that
is a fuzzy classification notion.  One should be able to apply fuzzy
classification methods to compute such "distances", I would think.

Cheers,

Tom P