   RE: [xml-dev] The Battle for Web Services

Bullard, Claude L (Len) writes:

 > You receive an RFP for a job to convert an existing enterprise of a
 > type to an all services architecture.

For the sake of the exercise, I'm assuming that that conversion makes
sense, both for meeting current and anticipated performance
requirements, and for bringing measurable benefits (vs. the high cost
and risk).  In real life, much of what we independent consultants are
paid for is talking people out of questionable ideas like converting
their whole architecture to the newest trend in a single, big bang.

 > How do you respond (what do you propose)?

The normal stuff: isolate most of the code from whatever Web-service
standard you choose, so that the business logic, database work,
etc. is still safe if you guess wrong.  After all, it *is* still
guessing, until we see enough of this stuff out in the wild.

All the best,

David