   Re: [xml-dev] fundamental facets - inquiry from the XMLSchemaWorking Gro

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 12:56, Liam Quin wrote:
<snip/>
> So maybe I am agreeing with Rick in part, although I think his
> examples made durations and dates sound simpler than they can
> be in practice and still be useful.

they were examples ;) and an example of an extensible model for
describing domains. real life is of course far more complex.

as an aside, i think it's important to be able to work with simple
models if that's all that's required. it's ok for us to discuss the
complexity of dates, but our users will not understand the implications
of 1752 (in england) and for the most part don't really care and don't
want to know. but they might care about western and japanese dates in
the 21C, in the sense that users in australia only see the australian
date, and the people in japan only see the japanese date. (do we allow
for time zones? :( )

ps for a classic on this, a visit to salisbury is essential as a
reminder of the confusion people have regarding time keeping