   RE: [xml-dev] xml, books

I'm an avid book buyer -- I love books; the smell, the taste (I've
fallen asleep on more than one occasion)...

...but I have two pet peeves:

1) Why aren't books spiral bound?: Theres nothing I hate more than
trying to prop open a 900 page Wrox book while hacking out an example.
Honestly, I find I do less of the sample exercises simply because of
this.  And correct me if I'm wrong -- aren't spiral bound books less
expensive to produce?  We develop consulting methodologies using this
method and our clients have been thrilled.  Sure, they don't look as
nice on the bookshelf (and I'm sure there are people who buy solely for
this) but they *work*.

2) Over-simplified Examples: My company doesn't need a black jack game
written in C#.  Sure, a beginner's book without "Hello, World" would
probably stop me in my tracks but come on -- theres got to be
_something_ with substance you can write about. I don't care if it's a
chunk of integration code for some industry vertical that I'll probably
never use; I want a challenging (and realistic) exercise to really flesh
out the strengths and weaknesses of this particular example.  Use
something cool and unique from the class library; lets put this code
through the paces.