   RE: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names

I think there are other problems.

As I understand, in UTF-8+name, an ampersand is represented as  &&;  which
means that, if UTF-8+name is used for XML, "normal" entity references will
look like:

	&&;myentity;

and numeric character references will look like:

	&&;#12345;

which is ugly.

In addition, "UTF-8+name entities" would have the usual syntax:

	&lt;

but this can be confusing because it would denote a **literal** < character,
not one obtained by including the entity.  As a consequence, I would *not*
be allowed to use  &lt;  in the value of an attribute, for example, but
would have to use   &&;lt;  for the same purpose.

I think that these problems can be overcome by using something different
from the ampersand, as you suggest.

As for the final  ;  being mandatory, I believe it should be, for
robustness.

It is not very clear to me where UTF-8+name would be useful, as I don't
think it is useful in XML.  Is it being proposed for use in areas where, for
some reason, XML cannot be used?

Alessandro Triglia
OSS Nokalva